Monday, September 19, 2011

Wholesome Weekend Wisdom

In the past few months, some weekends have been so hectic that by Sunday evening I feel worn out and tired. It is almost like I need the following Monday to recuperate!
But the last one was very different. I am usually not in a habit of listing out my “chores” on this blog, but I felt so happy and contented that I just, u know, wanted to write about it. :)

The reason being, in 48 hours, I was able to:
• Get some sound sleep
• Have ONLY homemade food (Read all three meals on Sat and had a friend
over for breakfast on Sun too!), barring a delicious Poha samosa which I could not resist
• Read peacefully without the blackberry buzzing in between. Just me and my book.
• Step out with girlfriends for some worthwhile shopping
• Go on a breathtaking midnight drive by the sea face
• Sleep some more
• Brush upon my driving and put in that extra effort for the tricky U-turns!
• Catch up with an old roommate cum good friend, on phone of course
• Indulge in a rejuvenating massage on Sunday evening

A fitting end to an awesome wholesome weekend, would you say? :)

I know many of you obviously do much more, but I am really thrilled in having done so much and not feeling worn out, even a tad bit! I am not sure if this observation makes sense, but having lived in two metros before, somehow you value your weekends so much more when you are married, and living in the busiest of cities – Mumbai. Weird, but true!

Many of us make the longest “To-do” list even after a hectic five day week that the weekends are chock-a-block! And then there is that melancholic Monday that follows where you regret not having done the 8th and 9th item on your list. One common mistake that we all make - “me-time” hardly features in the list. I don’t want to sound all overly philosophical here, but trust me the “me-time” makes all the difference. So if you are not traveling or embroiled in an emergency, here is what I humbly suggest to make those weekends more wholesome:

Trim the list: Instead of drawing up a list of 10 – 12 things, aim at doing 4 – 5 things and see them to closure. Also please factor in the traffic, the maid who may not show up on time, and of course the spur -of-the-moment movie that happens followed by coffee at Gloria’s!

Sleep like a log: In any case, you are up watching Bones/other sitcoms OR taking that late night conference call during the week, might as well give your body the rest it deserves during these two days. But yeah, if you are out clubbing on Saturday night, then please indulge in that beauty sleep till Sunday brunch/lunch.

Make some “Me-time”: Plans are always made with spouse, friends, family and acquaintances, but never with oneself. This is something which we completely ignore and trust me I am speaking from experience; it makes a lot of difference if you make it a part of your weekend routine. Just take some time, at least 30 – 40 minutes during the weekend and do something that you love, something that relaxes you. It must involve only you. Read a book, cook a yummy dish for yourself, write, listen to music, dance, go for a walk/massage, try a new yoga posture, or simply just meditate. It really enhances your concentration and declutters your mind to a large extent. I assure you over a period of time, you will be able to show lethargy the finger! :)

No place such as home: Yes I agree most of us take plenty of joy and pride in being bitten by the travel bug and sometimes go to the extent of traveling almost every weekend. It is important to go for those picnics and treks now and then, but should you insist on seeing those mountains and birds every week? I honestly do not think so. What will happen to your cozy pad? The one place that welcomes you whole heartedly after a tough day at work, you don’t want it to gather dust, do you? Try and spend some time indoors, and dedicate that time to your making your home cleaner and cozier.

Not another desk job: Don’t make your dining table also your office desk. Let go of that unfinished presentation, let it not eat into your head while you are at the beach with your loved one. I know this is easier said than done, and many of us (including me) break the golden rule of “No work during weekends”. At least let us make the honest attempt or soon our social life will simply cease to exist. What say? One cannot leave everything to Facebook. The boss will understand.

I am confident that the above pointers will help you in one way or the other. So sport that smile as always and the everything else will follow :)

Ah, before I forget, this article is also a product of my “me-time” and I already feel like a million bucks! Woohoo!

Here is to many more wholesome weekends for me and you!

2 comments:

  1. Nice points and well written...now all that remains is a wee bit of "executional" trouble that I forsee for myself! :)

    Am a classic case of doing waaaay too much on any given day forget weekend!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Haha! Thanks girl!
    Experience makes u write these things! trust me, been there, done that and didn't work! :(

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you!